Monday, September 29, 2008

Booo

Man, we all suck. An incredible last month and we've barely logged on to this site. Some random thoughts on the last few days, in no order:

- That trade for CC looks pretty good now, I guess.

- And he's the favorite for the Cy. I'm sure it'll be over all the papers (maybe it is already), but how often has a Cy Young/MVP winner switched leagues midseason?

- I just can't get worked up about coming in second to the Rays. It's a pretty exciting turnaround for the franchise. If the Sox lose in the playoffs, I'm going to have no trouble rooting for the Rays the rest of the way.

- On that topic, I cannot believe that changing their name actually worked. Stuff like that never works.

- Also: I love that they have no idea who should throw out the first pitch. I think I speak for all of us when I say: Ben Grieve!

- There's plenty of stuff not to like about the Mets (their hoarding of Big Free Agents; their firing of Randolph; 1986), but they've grown on me the last few years, given their fanbase - plenty of them stayed loyal throughout the entire Yankee dynasty. So this second collapse in a row has to hurt - my heart's out to Mets fans.

- Go Tigers.

6 comments:

  1. Agreed. This is sad.

    Although, the pseudo-scientist in me sees a inverse correlation to the number of dependents claimed on tax returns and the number of posts on the gysblog.

    In other news, I am actually excited about tonight's play-off appetizer. Secretly, I'd like to see the Twins. If for no other reason then the fact that they are 3-3 vs. the Rays and the White Sox are 4-6.

    We still have to get past the Angels, which at this point looks like a steep climb. But it's playoff baseball ANYTHING can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 0-0 5th inning.

    Daisy is cheering for the White Sox. Why?

    B/c Ozzie Guillen is crazy mo'fo.

    Got to love that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC - CY young? i don't see him finishing higher than fourth. Lincecum, Webb, Johan. And maybe even Lidge.

    Only one pitcher switched leagues and won - and he switched a month earlier.

    CC could actually finish higher in MVP than CY - not sure if that has ever happened before.

    I'm with you on the Rays. No problem rooting for them now, especially playing the Sox. Ozzie and Pierzynski. The most unlikeable duo in all of baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Vladi getting thrown out at third.

    I will just refer to that as Vladi being Manny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, last night's loss feels a bit like the '04 Sox win in Game 4 (following IBID's party where the Sox got spanked in Game 3). There was a "The Sox won game 4 now look out because they are gonna come back with that pitching".

    Seriously, I am concerned with the rest of this series from the Sox perspective. Last night was the big question for the Angels. They played tough, and basically gave the Sox 3 runs in the first.

    Now it is back to Lackey. His only mistake was one pitch to Bay in Game 1. Lester was HUGE in Game 1, but I am not sure that he'll be as dominant tonight with the Angels having seen the "new" Lester in Game 1. Like it was said (about 50 million times in the broadcast), he couldn't throw to both sides of the plate during the early season against the Angels. Now that they've seen he can, I have to imagine that Vlad, Hunter, and Anderson will make adjustments...

    Then Diasuke back in LA/Game 5 (if necessary).

    Yikes, Game 3 evened this series in my mind even though the Sox are still up 3-1.

    ReplyDelete