Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Holy Cow

Having grown up in enemy territory, I was exposed to many aspects of Yankeedom. Probably one of the best aspects was Phil Rizzuto. Not only did I get to watch him call many games but I got to see him in an endless stream of cheesy local commercials yelling, "Holy Cow" at the low prices. Maybe Grieve will actually remember what they were selling.

I learned a couple of cool things about Phil from his wikipedia page (linked above). First, he didn't always play close attention to the game! If he missed a play, he'd score it "WW" - "wasn't watching". I like that! Second, apparently he said a lot of stupid things, but my favorite is, "Bouncer to third, they'll never get him! No, why don't I just shut up!". Thirdly, I think my most memorable moment is his call of the famous George Brett pine tar incident. Finally, he was the play-by-play voice in Meat Loaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

Scouter, rest in piece. Even Red Sox fans could appreciate the lucky, wonderful life you lived!

2 comments:

  1. First thing I thought of when I heard he died was the Paradise by the Dashboard Light call.

    ReplyDelete