Friday, May 18, 2007

Checking in on Predictions...

Here's a little something I posted before this last stretch of Sox games:

"My guess is that the Sox go 8-5 or 7-6 during that stretch. Split with Oakland, beat Seattle, 1-1 against Minnesota (it's Wakefield and Tavarez), 2-1 against Toronto (top or the rotation), 2-2 against Detroit."

I asked the question...are the Sox better than this? To give a little perspective, the Yankees were heading into a long stretch of Seattle/Texas games...How'd I do?

They split with Oakland...check
They beat Seattle...check

then I think I had some problems reading their schedule...

The Sox played 3 against Minnesota. Took 2 of them.
They swept Toronto...(better than I expected)
I completely missed the Orioles series...they took 2 of 3.
Then 3 of 4 against the Tigers.

12-3 over that run...Ridiculous. And some of those wins were gutsy, comeback victories. Many of those wins had guys like Hinske, Cora, Wily Mo, and Pedroia making major contributions.

This team reminds me of the 1986 Mets...(I know, poor taste to mention them on a Red Sox blog)...You expected everyone to contribute...You expected them to win every time they went on the field. Even down by 4 or 5 in the ninth, you don't stop watching.

That was a tough stretch of games. Now, though, they are going to have one or two spot starts...Beckett is missing two...Hansack and Gabbard...can they keep going against the Braves and Yankees? Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment