So at first, I could only think of two reasons for there being no extension for Curt:
1. They are saving their money for a run at Zambrano or a trade and then big contract for another ace.
2. They think he does not have much left in the tank.
But after a bit more thinking, it could be a whole bunch of items:
1. A challenge for Curt. Give him a little extra incentive to have a monster season. An interesting note on Schill - he has NEVER signed a free agent contract.
2. They don't like that Curt made his pronouncement in the media.
3. They think the gamble is worth it. If he has a great year, it may take $18MM to sign him. So they feel it would be worth the extra $$ as opposed to sinking $13MM (i.e., flexibility).
4. Gambling that he really does not want to leave Boston. His kids are in school here. He knows Boston is passionate city and he gets far more media attention that he would almost anywhere else.
5. Maybe Schilling is jealous of all the attention dice-K is getting, so this has been a great way for him to keep his name front and center. Plus I liked how he pronounced himself the opening day starter. Classic.
6. All that being said, they still could work something out before season's end.
So who really knows. I just hope it does not become a Derek Lowe situation where we hear about it all year long. I don't think Schill will mope the same way, but Lord, I don't want to read 346 articles this summer about his contract.