Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Random and meaningless numbers

The pain from last nights second inning inspired me to do some analysis. Unfortunately, I can't get at the inning by inning records. (Read as: I am too lazy to try to track down those numbers and make them work). However, I did find game-by-game data and learned some interesting things.

1. When the Yankees win they score an average of 7.9 runs
2. When the Red Sox lose they score an average of 3.5 runs

Apparently, both teams were above average last night. Something to at least tip our caps to (not). Diving into the numbers a little more I found:

1. When the Yankees win on mondays they average 10 runs
2. When the Red Sox lose on Mondays they average 5.5 runs

So maybe last night wasn't so above average for both teams. So, these last numbers are basically statistically meaningless as there are way too many variables not being accounted for, however I did think it was interesting.

Finally, just so we can see the other side of things:

1. When the Red Sox win they score an average of 6.8 runs
2. When the Yankees lose they score an average of 3.4 runs

If I were a betting man, we win tonight 7 to 4!

3 comments:

  1. By the way, when the Red Sox win on Tuesdays they score an average of 8 runs and when the Yankees lose on Tuesdays they score an average of 3.7 runs. Therefore, I am changing my prediction.

    Sox win 8 to 4!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When the Red Sox lose on Mondays". How big a sample size are we talking about here?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sample size? What are you talking about. I don't need no stinkin' sample size!!!

    (My data is for the 2006 serason, so that's probably 4-5 Mondays!)

    ReplyDelete