Thursday, May 18, 2006

1) Mench, 2) Bonds, and 3)...Arroyo?!?

Okay, so I really like Bronson Arroyo, but after only 9 starts as the Cincinnatti Reds' ace, his head has seemed to gotten a tad big. After losing to his former team Pittsburgh yesterday (6 IP, 9 H, 2 BB, 4 ER), he had this to say:
That can't happen. Period. Against that team, to put (my team) in a 4-1 hole. That's bullshit...If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me.
Them's fighting words. I mean, I know he was probably pissed off at himself so he didn't mean it to be as big an insult as it was. But unfortunately he didn't take all the blame:
We haven't been swinging the bats. That makes it that much harder.
Lately there's been a lot of talk of pitchers (namely Schilling) making sudden "reversions to the mean" - I'm skeptical, since stats generally don't work like that. But still: I hope Arroyo wasn't expecting to maintain an ERA of 2.00 the whole season. He should probably keep his mouth shut next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment