Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Its that time again

Book review. This month's entry - Game of Shadows. I know, I know. I just can't help myself. these books come out and I say "I'm not going to buy into this crap." And yet I do.

Things I knew (or thought I knew) Before I Read Game of Shadows:

Barry Bonds is an ego-maniac
Barry Bonds took steroids
Lots of Olympic athletes cheat
The SF Chronicle guys and the FBI Agents don't really like Barry
Barry Bonds had an affair and threatened to kill the woman
Victor Conte is a buffoon
Barry is a dick

Things I know after reading GOS:

Barry Bonds is an ego-maniac
Barry Bonds took steroids
Lots of Olympic athletes cheat
The SF Chronicle guys and the FBI Agents don't really like Barry
Barry Bonds had an affair and threatened to kill the woman
Victor Conte is a buffoon
Barry is Dick (Greg Anderson mockingly called him His Highness, behind his back)

So there you have it. While it was interesting at times and there is tons of detail, there really is nothing new for anyone that has even remotely followed the situation. About the closest things that come as revelations are confirmation that the lead FBI agent pretty much began the whole BALCO investigation to get Bonds. And a lot of detail on the mishandling by the US Attorneys office, who despite a mountain of evidence and virtual public admissions (hell, he was bragging) by Conte - they dropped all but 2 of the 40+ charges and Conte did 4 months in prison. And they go NO names out of him. Needless to say the FBI and the SF US Attorneys office are not happy with one another.

The only other thing I found very interesting is that Barry often referred to Anderson as his life long best friend, which was patently not true. They really did not become friends until 93 when Bonds came to SF. Worth noting.

Nothing new - that was the disappointing part. Entertaining at times. I have read much worse.

1 comment: