Monday, June 27, 2005

A little off-topic

Sorry to stray into politics, but if I don't vent soon I think my head will explode. I think one of the reasons I've gotten so into baseball lately is that is distracts me from much of the utter BS that's been going on in Washington the last, oh, 4 1/2 years or so. Even before the Red Sox became World Champions, I found my level of anger/depression was far lower when focusing on baseball than on politics. But then on yanksfansoxfan I see this, in which politics and baseball have combined in a way that makes me really hate certain people. Certain Republicans in Congress apparently are all ready to intervene if George Soros buys the Nationals. In the words of Rep. John Sweeney (R-NY), "from a fan's perspective, who needs the politics?"

Wow. Setting aside for a moment the fact that Republicans ostensibly support the free market and frown upon government intervention in private companies, it's ridiculous that Soros would be singled out for being unacceptably political. Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News, used to own the Dodgers. George Steinbrenner, the owner of the MFY, made illegal contributions to the Nixon campaign. And over half of current baseball owners made donations to the 2004 Bush campaign, making most of them Rangers or Pioneers. Speaking of the Rangers, I seem to remember in 1989 a certain son of the then-President buying the Texas franchise...and then using that to go on to bigger and better things. Actually, scratch the "better" part.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Thanks for indulging me. If you're now as pissed off as I am, I'm sorry. Check out this site if you need to get your mind off all the BS.

[Edit: for a much better mix of baseball and politics, which manages to make fun of the Yankees and Republicans, check this out.]

1 comment:

  1. That's certifiably ridiculous. Good to know that Congress is focusing on the really important things recently, huh?

    ReplyDelete