Monday, February 07, 2005

Book Review - With a thanks to Jesse

I had absolutely no intention of reading Olney's book about the Yankees and their crumpled dynasty. Actually the book was basically about Game 7 2001 but as it went inning by inning, it gave an in depth look at many of the players, coaches, etc.

I don't think there was anything terribly revealing (there were some good stories that I had not heard, but much of it was stuff we all saw and probably remember) and I probably would have not been able to stomach it if the Red Sox were not the World Champions. In fact, there is no way in hell I would have read it. That being said, it was interesting and entertaining. Olney lays some serious smack down on Steinbrenner, which of course never gets old.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, for all Olney's pro-Yankees writing, he really despises Steinbrenner.

    I'm about 15 pages into Faithful. Pretty mixed so far -- the Steven King passages are great, but they're few and far between. It's mostly Stewart O'Nan, who -- while he clearly loves the Sox and knows a bit about baseball -- is too much the Obnoxious Fan. "By pushing my way through a crowd of 8-year olds, I was able to get Brian Daubach to sign the baseball I brought." Well, nothing quite that bad, but you get the idea. I'll give a full report when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete